The Global Forum on Employment Relations was a great success. Thanks to all our International and Local speakers for their interesting and insightful presentations and to our 250 attendees for their participation and discussion throughout the day, we hope you enjoyed it.
To read some of the news stories from the Forum please go to our news page or click here
To download the presentations from the Forum please click here
Employment Relations in A Global Context, 30th March
The Forum will focus on recent trends in employment relations in key economies North America, Europe and Asia and their implications for Australia. The Forum will also provide an opportunity to review the effects of recent reforms in Australia in the context of the re-elected Labor government from a wide range of employer and union perspectives.
The Global Forum in 2011 follows the highly successful World Congress on Industrial Relations held in Sydney in 2009 attended by more than 900 participants from over 40 countries. A number of keynote speakers from that congress are returning to Sydney to review international changes which have occurred since the Global Financial Crisis and its aftermath.
Download full program here
Keynote speakers include:
- Professor Thomas Kochan from the Sloan School of Management at MIT in Cambridge, USA who has served as an adviser to Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama
- Professor William Brown, Master of Darwin College and former Head of Economics at Cambridge University who has served on Britain’s Minimum Wage Commission
- Professor Janice Bellace from the Wharton School of Management, University of Pennsylvania and a Member of the Committee of Experts at the ILO in Geneva
- Dr Peter Auer, Senior Fellow at the International Institute for Labour Studies in Geneva and former Head of the European Employment Observatory in Berlin, Germany
- Professor Mia Ronnmar from the Faculty of Law at the University of Lund in Sweden who has recently published a book on Industrial Relations in the European Union
- Dr Chang-Hee Lee who is Senior Adviser on Employment and Labour Relations issues for the ILO in China who formerly served as the Asian Regional Adviser in Bangkok
- Ged Kearney, President, Australian Council of Trade Unions. She was previously Federal Secretary of the Australian Nursing Federation, one of Australia’s largest and fastest growing unions.
- Peter Anderson, Chief Executive, Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Peter represents Australian business regionally and globally at international forums such as the OECD, the International Organisation of Employers and on the Governing Body of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Heather Ridout Chief Executive, Australian Industry Group. Heather holds a large number of key national positions on bodies which include the National Workplace Relations Consultative Committee, Infrastructure Australia and Skills Australia and the Henry Review of Taxation.
Leading Australian specialists in employment relations from General Motors Holden, Qantas Airways, employers associations, trade unions and universities will examine the implications of international developments for Australia and review the effects of recent industrial relations reforms of the Gillard Labor government.
The Global Forum is jointly sponsored by the International Labour and Employment Relations Association (ILERA) based in Geneva, the Journal of Industrial Relations (JIR) published by the Industrial Relations Association of Australia (IRSA) and the Workplace Research Centre (WRC) at the University of Sydney